Public Universities in Turkey
Public universities in Turkey are considered one of the most important universities in the world in terms of the quality of education, and the adoption of modern curricula, and they also embrace many students from different nationalities and countries because of Turkey's good reputation in terms of great educational capabilities and infrastructure equipped to carry out research and studies.
Turkey public universities, like other universities in various countries, are very advanced, which is characterized by a high level and global ranking, and some ones modest, but the most important thing that distinguishes Turkey's public universities is their large number and distribution throughout the Turkish territory, as the number 131 public universities, as the number of Turkish states in which there is no university is zero and there is at least one university in each state.
public universities in Turkey Tuition Fees:
Many students are looking for the best public universities in Turkey with good global ranking and at the same time low costs, so that the student can continue their academic studies in addition to the possibility of obtaining a job opportunity in equal with their studies. The low tution fees of public universities in Turkey are one of the most attractive advantages for international students
The fees of public universities in Turkey for foreigners range from $ 500 (such as the Middle East Technical University where fees vary according to the faculty) and up to $ 8.000 (such as Ankara Yıldırım Beyazıt University for medical specialties and $ 3000 for engineering specialties).
About the YOS exam:
It is an apre-exam for foreign students wishing to study in Turkey public universities consisting of 80 questions in logic and mathematics, each university conducts its own exam and some universities accept the YÖS exam for other universities. The YÖS unified test began in 2022 in many countries
About the SAT test:
It is the entrance exam for students in American universities, through which the thinking and analytical skills of advanced students that they will need at the university level are measured, where the questions are distributed to the reading, writing, and mathematics sections.
About the GRE exam:
It is a test that done by students who have completed their bachelor's degree and wish to pursue their educational achievement and study for master's and doctorate, through which the student's ability and the possibility of success in the next academic stage are measured, and it includes questions in multiple areas, including analytical writing, mathematics and the possibility of using vocabulary.
It is an international exam for students wishing to study business administration or any of the administrative specializations, for the bachelor's and master's degree, containing multiple questions that measure the student's ability to think and critically analyze.
1- public universities in Turkey Ranking is very high and there are many universities ranked among the top 500 universities in the world.
2- The prices of public universities in Turkey are low.
3- Diversity of specialties and study programs.
4- Turkey's universities are recognized in most countries.
5- Because the government supports universities, public universities are characterized by advanced laboratories and scientific staff.
6- Most public universities in Turkey are located outside Istanbul, which reduces the cost of study and living for students in Turkey.
1- The different requirements for admission to public universities in Turkey from one university to another.
2- Most public universities require the YÖS test to accept foreign students.
3- There are specific periods for registration at public universities in Turkey.
4- Most study programs are available in Turkish; however, some majors are available in English in public universities.
5- The difficulty of obtaining admission to study medicine in public universities in Turkey, and intense competition for seats in medical specialties.
6- Intense competition and the preparation of an enormous number of students that register at public universities in Turkey.
The admission requirements of public universities in Turkey vary from one university to another, as obtaining admission to a public university is much more difficult than obtaining admission to a private university, below we will discuss the admission requirements for various stages of University study.
1. Undergraduate Admission Requirements:
- Universities that require the YOS exam for admission: In Turkey, some public universities are not satisfied with the high school certificate but require a special admission test, and some others recognize the admission test for some other public universities, this test is known as the"YOS exam" and it is necessary to focus on that the YOS exam does not replace the High School certificate, but the comparison is made between the faculties of this university and its specializations based on the YÖS mark without taking into account the student's marks in the High School certificate, as, Istanbul University accepts its own YÖS exam only, while Gaziantep University accepts its YÖS exam and Istanbul University's YÖS exam.
- Public universities are required for international tests for admission: Some public universities require their students to enter one of the international tests such as the ACT or SAT or the British High school tests AL such as Bogazici University and Hacettepe.
- Turkish public universities that accept without YOS, that is universities that accept local and international High School certificates for admission: Many universities accept Arab and local High School certificates for registration, and they also accept international tests as well, but they give priority in the comparison between their faculties and specializations to students with international test certificates.
- Universities that require the YÖS exam and international tests together to obtain a university seat in them, such as Yıldız Technical University.
- Universities accept all certificates and exams but give priority to students who have the YOS exam and international tests.
➢ Obtaining admission and studying medicine in public universities in Turkey: If you want to study medicine in Turkey's public universities, most public universities require that their students must have a YOS certificate or an international certificate with a very high average approaching 100% for the YOS exam.
➢ Obtaining admission and studying in engineering and literary faculties in public universities: Most public universities in Turkey require the YÖS test for admission to their majors.
2. Conditions for studying PhD and Master in public universities in Turkey:
According to the admission requirements for the master's degree, universities are divided into two parts:
● The first part requires the GRE or GMAT test.
● The second part accepts registration directly based on a bachelor's degree.
Where several ways of placement application differ from one university to another, as Below:
- Some universities adopt electronic placement applications.
- Some universities adopt electronic placement applications in addition to sending the required papers for registration by mail.
- Some universities require filling out their registration form manually in addition to sending the required documents for registration by mail.
- Some universities adopt a direct differentiation system where the student travels to the university and submits the necessary papers for registration by hand.
- In some universities, it is required to pay fees to apply for the placement application, these fees range from 20 - 150 dollars, which vary from one university to another.
- Some universities require an interview with students before they are admitted.
1. applying for university placement for the undergraduate degree: Application dates vary from one university to another, as some public universities in Turkey start applying for them in May and continue for two weeks, and others start applying in June or July, but in general, applying for university placement for public universities begins in the last week of April of each year and the application ends in the last week of September, and some universities open more than one comparison for application, due to Some students have applied for differentiation to more than one university and have obtained admission to another better university, so they do not complete the registration, so the number of students is not completed through the first placement.
Also, some universities open more than one placement application, including for students with a YOS certificate, and others for students with international test certificates, and a placement for local students with a local High School certificate.
2. Applying for university placement for the masters and doctorate degree:
Public universities do not open registration for postgraduate placement applications at the same time, but it varies from one university to another, but in general, applications are opened twice during the academic year, the first time in June or July and the second time in December or January.
3. Documents required to apply for the placement application for the bachelor's degree in public universities in Turkey:
● High school certificate.
● Transcript of a high school diploma.
● A copy of the passport.
● Personal photo.
● YOS test certificate or international tests "if any".
4. Documents required to apply for the placement application for the master's and doctorate degrees in Turkey:
1. Bachelor's degree in case of applying for a master's degree and bachelor's and master's degrees in case of applying for a doctorate.
2. Transcript for the bachelor's degree in case of applying for a master's degree and transcript for the bachelor's and master's degrees in case of applying for a doctorate.
3. At least one letter of recommendation from either a university or a company.
4. Speech of motives.
5. Some universities require GRE certification.
1- When does registration start at public universities in Turkey?
Registration for public universities begins in the fourth month of the year for the bachelor's and associate degrees, registration is done for the master's degree in Turkey for two periods each year. Summer period and winter period.
2- What are the advantages of public universities in Turkey?
Turkey's universities are characterized by a high global ranking and the costs of studying in public universities are low
3- What are the costs of studying in Turkey's public universities?
The prices of public universities vary according to specialization and university, but they are much lower than private universities
4- What are the costs of studying medicine in Turkey in public universities?
From 4000 to 8000 dollars annually, and varies according to the university and the language of study, and it must be recalled the difficulty of admission to public universities
5- Is studying in Turkish public universities difficult?
The difficulty of studying depends on the university major, the language of study, and the student's abilities.
6- What are the best public universities in Turkey?
There are more than 170 public universities in Turkey, there are more than 20 universities among the top 1.000 universities in the world.
7- What are the tuition fees for public universities in Turkey?
The tuition fees of Turkey's public universities were similar to the tuition fees of Turkish students, but they were raised to become from 300 to 600 dollars for bachelor's majors in general, and medicine majors from 4.000 to 8.000 dollars for.
8- What are the costs of studying dentistry in Turkey in public universities?
From 3.000 to 7.000 dollars per year, varies according to the university and the language of study.
9- What are the conditions for studying engineering in Turkey's public universities?
The priority of admission to engineering programs is for students who have passed the international tests or passed the YÖS test in Turkey.
10- What are the costs of studying physiotherapy in Turkey in public universities?
The costs of studying physiotherapy in Turkish universities range from 300 to 600 dollars annually.
11- What is the number of public universities in Turkey?
The number of public universities reached 170 universities in the Turkish states.
12 - What is the difference between public and private universities in Turkey?
Public and private universities in Turkey differ in study costs, admission requirements, and language of study.
13- What are the public universities in Turkey that do not ask for a YOS certificate?
Most public universities ask for YÖS in the first placement application, while abandoning the YÖS requirement in the second and third placement applications.
14- What is the method of registration in public universities in Turkey?
The student can register himself at public universities after translating and certifying his documents into Turkish. And they can ask the company which offers educational services in turkey.
15- How difficult is it to get admission to Turkey's public universities?
The difficulty of obtaining admission varies according to the university major. But it is worth noting that due to the great competition, admission opportunities to public universities are available to students with international tests and YOS.
16- Are public universities in Turkey free?
No, public universities are not free, but the costs of studying in them are very low.
17- What is the reason for the names of public universities in Turkey?
Universities in Turkey are named after Turkish influencers throughout history. As Necmettin Erbakan University, Suzhou Imam Khatib University, Mimar Sinan University ... etc
18- How many public universities are there in Istanbul, Turkey?
The number of public universities in Istanbul reached 12 universities.
1- Studying in public universities is not free.
2- Many majors are available in public universities, most of which are taught in English
3- The prices of study in Turkish public universities are low.
4- The competition for admission to public universities is high, do not compete if you do not have alternative plans so as not to lose the academic year.
5- Most companies charge nominal fees for the service of placement applications at public universities.
6- It is not possible to pay university fees in public universities from outside Turkey.
7- If you do not have international test results or the result of the YOS test, it is better to stay away from universities with high ranking or located in tourist states such as Istanbul and focus on intermediate universities and those located in small states.
8- Start studying Turkish before you come to Turkey
9- Start the study residence procedures as soon as you come to Turkey.
International students can study in public universities in Turkey, but the admission requirements for these universities vary. Registration for Turkey's public universities begins in the fourth month of each year, and registration for the master's degree takes place in two time periods, the summer and winter periods. Public universities are characterized by high-ranking and low university fees. Due to the great competition for seats in public universities, especially the seats of medicine and dentistry, we advise students to get YÖS tests or TR-YÖS unified tests to increase the chance of their admission. They can also enroll in private universities in Turkey without any conditions.